The African Technology Policy Studies (ATPS) is seeking to recruit a young and dynamic post-doctoral research officer (international position) to support the implementation of its new programmes and projects.
The officer who will be based at the organization’s Secretariat in Nairobi, Kenya, is expected to support ATPS’ new programmes in science, technology and innovation(STI) policy research, policy making and advocacy, training, sensitization and capacity building, youth and gender empowerment, knowledge brokerage, management and commercialization as well as intra-Africa and global collaboration.
Required skills and qualifications include:
- A PhD Degree in Science, Technology and Innovation Studies; Research and Development Studies; Development Economics; or related disciplines;
- At least three years’ experience in data management and analytics, research and development fields, policy research in science, technology and innovation fields in a similar international organization;
- Demonstrable capacity and ability to fund-raise and manage knowledge networks;
- Have strong analytical skills- experience in analysis of quantitative and qualitative data;
- Proven work experience working with young people, women and the vulnerable on empowerment programmes that create job opportunities and employability.
- Demonstrated experience in programme coordination and project management;
- The capacity to speak English and French will be an added advantage.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
- Have strong interpersonal skills and a good team player; and
- Ability to work with limited supervision and meet deadlines.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership in research, capacity building, and research translation into policies
- innovative products with the ATPS stakeholders;
- In partnership with the research team, develop proposals in relevant STI fields to fund-raisefor ATPS programmes and projects up to a minimum of USD1, 000,000 per annum.
- Support the research team in the implementation of ATPS projects in line with its thematic priority areas of work namely: agriculture, food and nutrition; energy; climate change and environment; and health innovations
- Assist in planning and running network workshops and other network support activities
- designed to collectively tackle common issues and/or facilitate cross-project collaboration
- Participate in the training of ATPS stakeholders including researchers, policymakers, private sector actors, science journalists, extension agents, farmers, etc.
- Provide leadership in research designs, field work, data collection and analyses, research syntheses, policy engagements, publications, as well as in monitoring, evaluation, reporting and learning.
Delegation of Responsibilities for this position:
- 50% time to be spent in research and program activities
- 50% time to be spent in fundraising activities
- Good research leadership characteristics
- A Self-starter with a strong desire to learn and lead
- Strong interpersonal skills and a good team player
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Willingness to travel a lot to other countries
- The ATPS Management will give preference to Female Applicants
Interested and qualified candidates are urged to send an application letter stating their motivation for the job and detailed curriculum vitae with at least three (3) referees to firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy to email@example.com. The deadline for the submission of application is on Friday, 21 October 2022.
Use the job title “Postdoctoral Research Officer” as the subject of your email when submitting your applications.
Meanwhile, ATPS is a leading Pan-African transdisciplinary network of researchers, policymakers, private sector actors and the civil society actors that promotes the generation, dissemination, use and mastery of STI for Africa’s development, environmental sustainability and global inclusion. In collaboration with like-minded institutions, ATPS provides platforms for regional and international research and knowledge sharing to build Africa’s capabilities in STI policy research, policymaking and implementation for sustainable development.